A fallen tree in Forest Hills, Queens remains as the city continues the clean-up from last week's storm. (Erin McCarthy/WNYC)
The clean-up from last week’s tornadoes in Brooklyn and Queens will take several more weeks, city officials said Thursday.
The tornadoes and severe storm that struck last Thursday resulted in over 3,000 reports of downed trees across Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. Residents made nearly 8,000 calls to 311 to report tree damage. Almost 6,000 of those came from Queens. Since then, the city has delegated multiple agencies to manage recovery efforts, starting with clearing streets for emergency and civilian vehicle traffic.
At a press conference to update the media on storm recovery efforts, the city’s Office of Emergency Management Commissioner Joseph Bruno said the city is working as quickly as it can to remove fallen trees and other debris.